Long-term EU resident's permit

Select an area of interest or explore the full information regarding the permit


A long-term EU resident permit is a right to stay on the territory of Polish granted for an indefinite period to third-country nationals (i.e. persons who do not hold the citizenship of one of the EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland) or to stateless persons who reside in the territory of Poland legally and continuously for a period of at least 5 years (where this period is calculated in a specific,explained waybelow) and meet the requirements for possession in total:

Foreigners who are in Poland at the time of submitting the application m.in.:

  • for the purpose of studies, vocational training, learning

  • in connection with granting a residence permit for humanitarian reasons, a permit for tolerated stay, asylum or temporary protection or applying for international protection (refugee status, subsidiary protection) or asylum

  • on the basis of temporary residence permits: in order to perform work within the framework of an intra-corporate transfer (Article 139a(1)), for the purpose of long-term mobility of a managerial, specialist or trainee employee, as part of an intra-corporate transfer (Article 139o(1)), due to circumstances requiring a short-term stay of a foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland (Article 181(1)).

This permit is granted in the form of an administrative decision by the voivode, competent for the place of stay of the foreigner, and in the case of appeal proceedings – by the Head ofthe Office forForeigners. In the case of granting this permit to a foreigner, a residence card valid for 5 years is issued, which is subject to renewal.


Long-term resident status has been established at European Union level (Council Directive 2003/109/EC of 25 November 2003 concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents) and is provided for all third-country nationals legally and long-term resident in the Member States of the Union . Foreigners who have been granted this status enjoy rights similar to those of EU citizens, m.in in the area of employment, education or social protection. They can exercise their right to family reunification and their right to reside in the territory of another EU Member State for more than three months if they have taken up employment, studies or vocational training there. They also benefit from enhanced protection against expulsion.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipisicing elit. Voluptatum sed necessitatibus in voluptas, laboriosam adipisci aliquam earum libero sapiente